[TYPO3-doc] Proposal: renaming of AdminGuide

Michael typo3ml at schams.net
Mon Sep 17 11:45:30 CEST 2012

Hi everyone!

After some time of intensive thinking and considering and thinking
again... I decided to propose the renaming of the "TYPO3 Administrator's
Guide" to "TYPO3 Maintenance Guide". I know it is a little bit weird to
suggest the renaming of a documentation that in fact does not exist yet
but I am sure it is better to discuss this now rather than later :-)

So, here are my reasons for this proposal:

The terminology "administrator" is ambiguous and misleading in this
context. For some people an administrator is the person, responsible for
the underlying IT infrastructure of a TYPO3 system: operating system,
web service (e.g. Apache), database service (e.g. MySQL), file system
permissions, backup/restore strategy, access to the server (e.g. SSH,
FTP), etc. This person does not require access to TYPO3 necessarily. For
others, an administrator is a BE user of TYPO3 with "admin" privileges.
This is typically a TYPO3 integrator. This type of administrator does
not deal with any system administrator jobs.

However, sometimes people have both roles (in small companies for
example): they are TYPO3-BE-admins, maybe developers, and they have
tasks of system administrators (e.g. ensure the hosting environment
works reliable).

My understanding of the (intended) documentation - currently named
"TYPO3 Administrator's Guide - is, that the guide aims to explain tasks
and best practises for both admin roles. From the title "Administrator's
Guide" it is not clear, what the target audience is and who should read
this guide or what exactly the guide is about ("administrator" is a role
rather than a process, see further explanations below).

The term "maintenance", on the other hand, describes the nature of the
intended documentation much better: what should you/someone do to keep a
TYPO3 instance running - now and in the future. The daily tasks to
ensure, TYPO3 instances run smoothly, stable, and are easy to
administer. "Maintenance" also does not reflect a role as such, but a
process - and this is what the documentation intends to cover: the
process of (ongoing) maintenance.

Another reason for a renaming is, that other official TYPO3
documentation show processes in their titles, too: the "installation and
upgrade guide", the "coding guide" or the "security guide" (yes,
security *IS* a process :-) The coding guide is not entitled
"Developer's Guide" if this makes sense?

I do not know exactly what the impacts of a renaming would be, but I
guess at least:

- renaming of project name at forge.typo3.org
- use new extension key "doc_guide_maintenance" (I have registered it to
block it for the time being)
- inform team members and community
- anything else?

What do you think? Is it a good idea? I am happy to be convinced
otherwise :-)

Cheers
Michael