[TYPO3-doc] Migration of doc_template completed (for extension developers)

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed May 30 08:38:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

>> I suggest to use the example manual.
>> http://git.typo3.org/Documentation/TYPO3/Example/Manual.git
>>
>> I think it provides an excellent playground, because it should make
>> use of
>> all features.
>
> Yes, I agree with that.

Documentation available for translation on:
http://translation.typo3.org/projects/Documentation.example.manual/

A few comments:

- This documentation provides pseudo translation directories (Fr / De)

	=> forget about it, this is not the way to perform translation
	=> should be removed from Git ASAP

- Project is missing conf.py and Makefile, I know the idea behind but
for an example documentation, it should be "complete" and "ready to compile"

Finally, I must say that I dislike having the compilation output mixed
up with sources. This is OK for small manuals but suboptimal for larger
documentation. I already started a bigger multilingual project and this
structure is much more cleaner IMHO:

.
|-- Makefile
|-- source
|   |-- conf.py
|   |-- Index.rst
|   `-- whatever-directory-and-file-structure
|-- locale
|   |-- fr/LC_MESSAGES/*.mo (not stored in Git)
|   |-- de/LC_MESSAGES/*.mo (not stored in Git)
|   `-- source
|       |-- fr/*.po (coming from Pootle to have a local/Git backup)
|       `-- de/*.po (coming from Pootle to have a local/Git backup)
`-- build
    |-- html
    |-- ...
    `-- locale/*.pot