[TYPO3-doc] Translating documentation

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Fri May 18 08:46:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

> This creates a directory "build/locale" which by default creates a big
> .pot file for each "part" => Part1.pot and Part2.pot. These are pure
> text files with all titles, and paragraphs of text (at this point I
> don't know how to "translate" images and index entries).

I still don't know how to basically translate "commands" but I think I
found a trick for images at least: whenever a named image is found, it
is exported as a text to be translated by

$ make gettext

So, the trick to localize images would be to reference the localized
versions within the source itself, something like:

.. |my_image_en| image:: _images/my_image.png
	:alt: This is my first image
	:align: center

.. |my_image_fr| image:: _images/fr/my_image.png
	:alt: C'est ma première image
	:align: center

and then use the named image within text:

	As seen on following picture...

	|my_image_en|

This will create 2 texts to be translated, one for each "paragraph" and
you can then easily "translate" text "|my_image_en|" into "|my_image_fr|".

I will have to investigate further but for the time being, localizing
the index itself is much more important than localizing images ;-)

Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org