[TYPO3-doc] FYI: New builders for Sphinx

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Fri Mar 30 09:23:36 CEST 2012

Hello all you documentation sailors,

this is a mail just to give you a good feeling and to ensure us all
that we are on the right track. Since the end of last year Sphinx has
already developed further. I just discovered that the list of builders
has grown. So there is now:

$: make

Please use `make <target>' where <target> is one of
html       to make standalone HTML files
  dirhtml    to make HTML files named index.html in directories
  singlehtml to make a single large HTML file
  pickle     to make pickle files
  json       to make JSON files
  htmlhelp   to make HTML files and a HTML help project
  qthelp     to make HTML files and a qthelp project
  devhelp    to make HTML files and a Devhelp project
  epub       to make an epub
  latex      to make LaTeX files, you can set PAPER=a4 or PAPER=letter
  latexpdf   to make LaTeX files and run them through pdflatex
  text       to make text files
  man        to make manual pages
  texinfo    to make Texinfo files
  info       to make Texinfo files and run them through makeinfo
  gettext    to make PO message catalogs
  changes    to make an overview of all changed/added/deprecated items
  linkcheck  to check all external links for integrity
  doctest    to run all doctests embedded in the documentation (if
                 enabled)

 'make html' is default and what we usually did:

http://srv123.typo3.org/~mbless/DOCROOT_HTDOCS/TYPO3v4/doc_core_tsref/html/

 'make dirhtml' is almost the same - but there are only paths in the
URL, no files. Each URL ends with a slash "/":

http://srv123.typo3.org/~mbless/DOCROOT_HTDOCS/TYPO3v4/doc_core_tsref/html/

 'make singlehtml' - as it says: combines all the many input files and
produces a single document as output:

http://srv123.typo3.org/~mbless/DOCROOT_HTDOCS/TYPO3v4/doc_core_tsref/singlehtml/

 'make epub' produces this. Needs a template I guess:

http://srv123.typo3.org/~mbless/DOCROOT_HTDOCS/TYPO3v4/doc_core_tsref/epub/

 'make json' - we have seen that already. Can help to integrate output
into other website builders.

http://srv123.typo3.org/~mbless/DOCROOT_HTDOCS/TYPO3v4/doc_core_tsref/json/

    That's how the Flow3 team is doing it:
    http://flow3.typo3.org/documentation/guide.html

http://git.typo3.org/FLOW3/Documentation.git?a=blob;f=Classes/Command/DocumentationCommandController.php;h=06723860186f1df1445a2100793f94349f916e37;hb=HEAD#l103

I haven't tried the others. But the principle is cool: Different
builders act on on input to create very different output stuff :-) Its
great to see that Sphinx is more and more being used by others in the
world. And we benefit from their work. We have to keep in mind though
that the 'field-list-table' directive isn't fully integrated yet and
may cause problems in some builders.

--
Martin Bless
TYPO3 Documentation Team