[TYPO3-doc] What should I do with my changed manual.sxw

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Mar 13 19:29:03 CET 2012

Hi Oliver,

> Philipp Gampe noted that I should attach the changed document to "the
> corresponding issue". What is "the corresponding issue" and how do I
> find it?

I guess he meant that you should open an issue in the bug tracker
corresponding to the manual (in this case
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-doc_core_api/issues) and attach
your modified file there.

> Sadly, I didn't properly think it through before I made my changes. So
> I made the changes in the version downloadable from the web (not the
> version from the trunk). How can I determine the changes that were made
> between the version on the web and the version in the trunk (so that I
> could merge them with mine)?

There's a Edit > Compare document... item, but I don't know how reliable
it is.

This is of course one of the main drawbacks of using OpenOffice and why
we're moving away from it, to a text-based format: at the moment it's
not possible to simply submit a diff.

> At this time (given that the sxw ->  web render is being replaced) would
> it make sense to adjust "markup" in the sxw that would improve the html
> rendering?
> For example on this page:
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_api/4.3.2/view/2/1/
> In the section "ext_tables.php and ext_localconf.php" under 6.
> You can see multiple levels of enumeration that make no sense at all.
> Slight adjustment to the sxw document could remove some of those levels
> (or so I assume).

I don't think that it makes sense now. Now if you have already made some
changes and manage to reapply them on a "fresh" version from trunk, it's
just as well if your efforts are not wasted.