[TYPO3-doc] Official docs: Mostly CamelCased now (to be pushed again)

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Fri Jun 1 13:48:23 CEST 2012

Xavier,

>At least, this is what I understand.

yes, exactly, I agree. Maybe its all about misundertandings or not
seeing the whole picture. As far as I understood:

Fabien ...
wants to provide the opportunity for extension authors to be able to
just concentrate on the pure writing of the manual. I understand that.
That's what the "source" folder is for. They can do so if they just
concentrate on that source folder. They don't need to touch anything
else.

On the other hand they won't be able to really write ReST without a
way to validate the code and see the output. I guess you're seeing
that problem and want to overcome it by providing a webservice. Very
good!

Others ...
will very soon be willing to install everything needed on there own
machine.

Philip ...
already is one of the "others". I'm one of the others as well. We got
everything installed. So we want to be able to build, review and edit
in the most easiest way. That is what I'm providing already with the
makefiles. BTW: we should add one more, "make-html.bat" for Windows
users. It only contains "make html". So we only have to do one click
to get everything build.

As a server admin ...
I prefer to have the clear folder structure with source/ and build/
and more folders as necessary. And I prefer to have the pure ReST
documents separated from everything wich is "code". On the server I
will not be using that Makefile. And I'll not be not using that
conf.py file directly. That means, I won't execute the code directly.
But maybe I'll read and parse that file to see if someone has special
wishes.

Aside:
There are still some open question of how to handle this exactly.
Let's say I'm experienced ReST writer and want to use some advanced
features like Intersphinx mapping in my own personal way. This is what
will happen and its totally ok, as the possibilites there are an open
universe. To make that work I indeed WOULD add that to the conf.py
file. Then me and everybody else using that documentation package
locally can build it the right way. If we just READ the conf.py file
or agree on having an extra conf.yaml file is something we still have
to see.

About installation:
It will be easy enough so that many people will want that. Especially
because its like 100% that it doesn't mess up your machine. And, with
the exceptions Python itself, its independent of platforms. A Windows
user would have to

1. start <python-installer>.exe
2. run: python <easyinstaller>.py
3. run: easy_install docutils
4. run: easy_install sphinx
Optional, to get our theme:
5. run: python setup.py install (in the t3sphinx package I made).

That's it. Biggest problem for Windows users is: How do I add
C:\Python27\Scripts to my path? As this is unfortenuatley not directly
done by the installer.

Turn over!

Martin

--
Certified TYPO3 Integrator | TYPO3 Documentation Team Member

http://mbless.de