[TYPO3-doc] reStructured Text migration update

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Jan 20 16:03:03 CET 2012

Hi all,

I had a long and nice conference call with Martin Bless this morning
about reStructured Text and the current status of the project.

As was discussed before a recent focus of Martin was the so-called
"field list tables" directive, which would offer us an easier way of
writing tables in reST. This will be very useful as we have a lot of
tables in the official documentation. This currently requires a tiny
patch to the docutils core, but it's a minor issue. Martin may push for
this to become part of the docutils core, but it requires more formal
work (like writing unit tests, etc.) and is not a high priority task for
now.

Martin also experimented a lot with Intersphinx. This is a Sphinx
extension that enables cross-linking between documentation projects.
This looks very promising and should enable us to do the kind of
cross-linking we have long been hoping for.

The next big step is the conversion of the existing manuals. Martin has
already experimented with this and the best way he found was to save the
OpenOffice files to HTML and then parse them and turn them into reST.
The missing link here is parsing the many tables and making them in the
above-mentioned "field list tables" directive. Martin hopes to be able
to make progress with this during the month of February. At that point
we should have a browsable documentation, rendered from converted
OpenOffice files. I think this will give the community a good feel for
the way we are heading.

Martin (with the help of Martin Holtz) also plans to have some
reST-related workshop at T3DD12.

We are currently experimenting on a development server. In particular
Martin has been thoroughly documenting the server setup:

http://srv123.typo3.org/~mbless/DOCROOT_HTDOCS/Documentation/reStTools/html/

I know that there's quite some expectations about this project and we're
doing our best. We're still all volunteers to the progress rate is
dependent on our free time and energy. If you are interested in this
topic, you are - as always - very welcome to help.