[TYPO3-doc] JavaScripts for screenshots

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Sat Jan 7 23:25:35 CET 2012

Hi François Suter,

François Suter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Slowly coming back online after the holidays...
>
> On Twitter someone mentioned a JS library for taking screenshots, which
> could help automate the process:
>
> http://fcargoet.evolix.net/2012/01/use-phantomjs-to-take-screenshots-of-
you-webapp-for-you/

I saw it on twitter :)

> In the comments to the above article someone also refers:
>
> https://github.com/n1k0/casperjs#readme
>
> Is anyone already familiar with these tools? Could they be useful to us?
> Is someone interested enough to give them a spin?

I never used those. But we should keep them in mind.

This could be a nice addition to ReST. It will also allow to check for
regressions while making screenshots, because every UI changes will change
the screenshot too. So by looking at all screenshots from a (hopefully)
complete documentation, we can actually verify that the rending is fine
(even for parts nobody looks at).

But I would put this to low priority, featuring ReST migration and rendering
chain.
This needs a lot of work before it can be used. Of course screenshots always
take a lot of work, those scripts need to be written, tested and maybe
adopted for each version. Sound like a lot of work.

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe – PGP-Key 0AD96065