[TYPO3-doc] Organization for the next steps

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Aug 3 14:44:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

> Only if there is an online connection. Otherwise the EM will need to fall
> back to either PDF, local HTML or the plain reST version (in that order).
> It is not possible to render the reST files without the toolchain being
> available on the server.

Yes, exactly, displaying raw ReST files is a kind of last possible
fallback. Of course I support the idea of packaging rendered formats
with the source (for example, PDF or single-page HTML), but my worry is
one of timing. Can we really manage to get up to date and rendered
manuals upon a given release? Of course, this could be part of the
release script, but maybe it's too complicated and the question of
timing remains. This is why I could imagine the Doc Team providing an
extension to download one or more formats, which would then be linked to
from the EM. This way the changes to the Core are minimal, we need just
plan some hooks at the right places. The extension could even provide a
Scheduler task to sync the manuals.