[TYPO3-doc] Documentation Subdomain and Search (Solr on TYPO3.org)

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Thu Apr 26 18:15:26 CEST 2012

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Dobberkau wrote:

> We are currently thinking of work packages for the Search on TYPO3.org.
>
> Could you sketch your ideas about the search on the documents subdomains?

Most of use are on favor of rendering static HTML files with static URLs,
see "After the T3DD12: The plan for the URLs - please check!".

So the question would be on how to get the content into Solr. Does Solr have
kind of an indexer or would we need to write one ourselves?

The other option would be to import the generated content into a
FLOW3/Phoenix website. The advantages would be to have a job queue already
at hand, being to easily create intermediate pages to guide the users to
different manuals and to have commenting on board (FLOW3 guys are doing this
currently).
The major drawback might be performance and load on the server.

For the documentation team, it does not matter which way to go as long as
editing is easy and the whole tool chain works with proper cross-linking
(and of course static URLs).

The the actual decision must be about which solution integrates best with
all requirements.
So we need your input on what is possible to do with Solr and what possible
limitations and requirements need to be taken care of.

> How can we make sure, that we can search from TYPO3.org content from the
> Documents?

The should (must) be possible.

> I would also join a meeting from your team if you dont mind?

The would be helpful.
I do not know when the next meeting will take place, on my calendar it is
May 24th, which might be a bit late.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!