[TYPO3-doc] Using reST for normal extensions

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Oct 17 08:15:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I am fascinated by the whole reST thing but however I won't take part of
> this project but would just like to use it.

I understand it so well :)

> Therefore following questions:
> - Is it too soon for extension developers to start with the whole thing?

It is not yet supported on the TER, meaning your documentation won't be
rendered to HTML.

> - I guess there will be a service soon to convert sxw to reST?

I started something experimental on http://typo3.perseguers.ch/ but
should rework it. At least it gives you a base to start with.

> - What is currently the fastest way to convert reST to HTML?

rst2html <manual.rst> <manual.html>

However you won't have the "official" TYPO3 look and feel this way. You
can get it by specifying a stylesheet as part of the conversion, which
is what I do on the aforementioned online converter. A new, enhanced,
version of the conversion was started by Martin Bless using Sphynx (see
other topics) but I did not yet implemented it on the online converter.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6