[TYPO3-doc] ReST, WYTIWYS: What you type is what you see

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Oct 14 14:27:31 CEST 2011

Hi Jigal,

> In order to have support from the community there have to be some easy
> tools. OpenOffice.org was available for almost all platforms and with a
> template it was fairly easy to create documentation.
> Although reST documents can be created with any text editor it is not
> very easy to check if they are correct or laid out like the author wants.

It is indeed important to have a nice tool for editing the
documentation, but what is really important for us (the Documentation
Team) is to move *away* from OpenOffice, because maintaining the
official documentation wit this tool is closer to a nightmare than a
pleasure. We're not doing this just because we have become reST freaks
overnight.

Of course we aim to have the best experience possible for extension
authors too and at least it should be better with reST than with DocBook
even without tools, as this format is simpler to learn and use. But we
also have limited resources and our top priority is to get the official
documentation rolling with reST before anything else. If you know a few
people with spare time on their hands, we can get them working right
away on improving/extending/fitting to our needs the editor that Martin
has found and which looks very promising.