[TYPO3-doc] ReST: properties of tables!?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Nov 4 11:23:14 CET 2011

Hi Martin,

> In ReST source lists are much easier to write than table syntax
> directly. So the basic idea is to have list format on the editors
> input side and get full featured tables on the generated output side.
>
> Q: What properties of tables do we need to support?

Tables have been mostly used in 2 ways in the official documentation so far:

1) as real tables, in which case they were very simple
2) for the references (such as TypoScript) in which case they have been
abused IMO, but that was for want of a better format. I think using
lists as you suggest would be much better, but is it then possible to
have as rich a content as we have now, i.e. for the description several
paragaphs, code samples, etc. within a list item?