[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: first sample manual

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Mar 31 20:37:31 CEST 2011

Hi Michael,

Sorry again for the delay in my answers, I'm pretty busy these days.

>> I'm still not sure I understand exactly what you mean. What do you mean
>> with "headlines"?
>
> Uhm ... like h1, h2 etc. in HTML.

Forget about HTML, this is DocBook ;-)

Seriously, that's true. In DocBook you don't define the levels of
headings. DocBook structures your publication along a hierarchy of,
well, structural, elements. So you're going to have a book, with
chapters and sections inside chapters, with maybe sections nested inside
sections (that's just an example that matches the sample manual, there
are many others structures which you can do with DocBook).

Each such element (book, chapter, section) can have a title (and maybe a
subtitle). DocBook doesn't any other differences of "level". This will
happen only upon rendering. If we consider rendering to HTML, then, yes,
we're going to have h1, h2, etc., but they will derive from the DocBook
structure and not from the choices made by the manual's author. Thus -
again, it's an example - the book title may be rendered to h1, the
chapter titles to h2, the first-level sections titles to h3, etc.

Does that make sense?

> Okay for me this would be an example where "further resources" would (perfectly) fit but I don't want to keep harping about on issue.

Let's say that we had already quite some discussions about how to name
this section, so if you don't mind, I would rather keep "Next steps". Is
that ok?