[TYPO3-doc] Documentation budgets

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Mar 21 10:41:32 CET 2011

Hi,

> I again claim no budget, because my view is this: In an open source project there are people with all kinds of professions. What might be a problem for one is really easy for others. So it's good to
> make the barrier very low so that people of all professions can contribute and like to do this. That's the reason I focus so much on the wiki as a tool for writers. Much of my todos are not nice +
> enjoyable but I know they're needed and help others very much. Such todos are in every opensource project. All projects exchange. We contribute TYPO3-documentation, others contribute the Ubuntu
> operation system, others Firebug as development environment. I think if we all want money for our work we get in trouble. Instead we should provide: low barriers for contributors.

I agree with all that, and it's really cool that you are motivated to
maintain and improve the wiki constantly.

Requesting budgets is actually something new for me. My conviction is
that it may help get some tasks done or motivate people to keep
contributing. For the DocBook project there was also an open question
that maybe we would need some professional help at some point and would
have to pay for it. I don't know if that will be the case. I think
rather not, but it's still good to have a budget.

But your remarks are exactly the reason why I wanted to open this thread
and be very transparent about having a budget. Some people might feel
ambiguous about this and it's good that all opinions be expressed.