[TYPO3-doc] Documentation budgets

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Mar 20 21:16:04 CET 2011

Hi all,

Thanks to budget requests I made in 2010, there's - for the first time -
money allocated to the documentation from the TYPO3 Association budget.

There are actually two separate budgets:

1) official documentation maintenance: this budget was estimated on the
basis of 2 hours of work per week. Of course, there's much more work
than this maintaining the official documentation, but it seems a fair
amount if you exclude fully reworking outdated manuals or writing new
ones. So that budget sums up to 104 hours for the year at Association
rates (50 €/hour).

2) DocBook migration: this is a very large project. There will be parts
that will require a lot of work, some probably boring, and I figured it
would help if we could pay people for some jobs. Again there will be
more work than planned in the budget, but the budget is not meant to pay
for every working hour. After all we largely base ourselves on volunteer
work. The goal is to have some money at hand to reward work done (though
not the exact hours worked) and to help when some job needs to be done
and money may be that last motivation resort. The total budget is 31
days (248 hours), again at Association rates.

As the person who requested these budgets, I am now in charge of them,
even though it's ultimately the Association that pays. Hence I wanted to
explain to every one what these budgets were and how I was planning to
use them and share the money, so that everything is laid out
transparently and nobody feels cheated afterwards.

I am planning to make quarterly assessments. They will be different for
both budgets:

1) official documentation maintenance: a quarter is 13 weeks, hence 26
hours. I will make an estimate - based on the activity I perceived - of
who was active on the official documentation during the quarter and
split the money between these people as evenly as possible based on the
perceived amount of work of each. I will then query those people for
their agreement. When everyone agrees, they can send out their invoices
(details to be worked out).

2) DocBook migration: in this case, the project was far more detailed
and divided into 5 milestones. Each quarter I will assess whether a
given milestone has been reached or not. If a milestone is reached, the
money allotted to it can be paid out. As outlined above, the money will
be split as evenly as possible between all people involved, based on the
perceived amount of work.

I hope this makes it clear enough. If that's not the case, or if you
have anything to express about this, please say it aloud :-)

Reference: http://wiki.typo3.org/DocTeam/DocBook_migration#Milestones
and http://wiki.typo3.org/DocTeam/DocBook_migration#Budget