[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: migrating existing manuals, the first step

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Jun 29 23:00:16 CEST 2011

Hi all,

One thing that I hope we can achieve is having some helper script that
can migrate all the existing manuals to DocBook "en masse". Obviously
the result will not be 100% perfect, but hopefully it should still save
us a lot of time.

Fabien Udriot and Kai Vogel have been working on revamping ter_doc
recently. In particular, Fabien has worked on producing DocBook 5 from
the OpenOffice files. I grafted myself on this effort and implemented
the possibility to render a single manual (and even a single version of
a manual) to DocBook. Otherwise ter_doc would happily generate several
thousands of manuals.

The details on how to make this work can be found in the TER extension
wiki [1].

The result is not yet satisfying, the documents are not entirely valid,
especially not the core manuals based on the new templates. And I
haven't even really looked in detail at the results.

I'm not an XSLT expert and I'll certainly need help with improving the
XSLT file that transforms the OpenOffice XML to DocBook 5. Feel free to
volunteer! :-)

BTW don't be surprised if I'm more quiet in the coming weeks, I'll be on
holiday for 3 weeks (although I'll probably be active on the 3rd one).

[1]
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-ter/wiki/Tutorial_how_to_install_TER_Documentation