[TYPO3-doc] TYPO3-project-documentation Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

Daniel Bruessler danielb at typo3.org
Sun Jan 30 17:58:49 CET 2011

Hello all,

thanks for this, Sabine, great to have you in the team! We as software-developers don't have enough knowledge of fonts, you're the expert for typography and layout.

I just compared the two versions - the Shared with the Sans serif font and "version2" with the baskervald font. The sans serif is much better, this mixture does look very clean.

> the Share is a little difficult to compose but from my point of view it`s ok. When it is the official TYPO3 corporate font, it is important to apply it. But it may be applied sparingly. (only for the headlines)  I would never use it for main texts which have more than 2 lines. (e.g. the title page)

So we maybe need to make the title-font a little smaller. So every manual's title can fit into one line - and we can give the advice that the authors should care about this.

> Three things are important: The font for the main text should fit to the Share, it should be plain (no twirls or unnecessary ad-ons) and it needs to be absolutely well readable even though it is set in a smaller size. (e.g. 10 pt) I found a open source font which seems to be capable: The freeSans. I added a Screenshot of the font. What do you think about? There are 4 font weights available. (roman, bold, kursiv, bold-kursiv)
> Please have a look at:
> http://www.darmstadt-typo3.de/typo3fonts.html

+1 for the sans serif main-text font, and bold for the smaller headlines

> It would be nice to have the bold style of the Share and the Office Template. So we could develop the typography together.

Francois, you could write "DRAFT version" in the template and filename, and remove the "official"-section, so nobody would use it already. For Sabine it's much better to work with real stuff.

Greets!
Daniel