[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: sample reference file

Stephan Petzl spetzl at gmx.at
Mon Feb 28 09:52:23 CET 2011

Hi François,

I appreciate your openness for input on this topic - great!

Am 27.02.11 21:17, schrieb François Suter:
> Hi,

> We need transformations anyway, be it from proprietary XML to DocBook or
> from DocBook to t3editor format, and then - of course - from DocBook to
> whatever rendering we need.

That's very true.
But my concerns are following:
1.) We build a docbook manual (which no user asked for -> see use cases)
2.) We write a transformation script for the t3editor which turns out to
be harder than expected (more work)
3.) We render an online reference (Straight forward: docbook -> html)
and it turns out to be quite challenging to get the suitable style,
formating and url-schema, so the online reference gets not as usable as
it should (and this is bad- because I think we agree that this is the
most important use case)
4.) We want to have a commenting system for the online tsref, but due to
the static nature of rendered docbook html, it's hard to get a comment
plugin on each reference page. Since it's hard, and not "necessary" it
never gets done.
5.) We want to give the community a possibility to contribute examples
on the online tsref, but due to the static nature of rendered docbook
html, it's hard to implement. Since it's hard, and not "necessary" it
never gets done.

Maybe I see the things much to pessimistic, I guess this is a worst case
scenario.

My approach would be to start with an extbase extension. I bet, that
issues 2-5 would be no big deal with extbase.

Of cause it is possible to parse docbook and render it with extbase. But
AFAIK it's far more complicated than working with domain-object
repositories.

what do you think?

--
Best Regards