[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: sample reference file

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Feb 27 21:17:09 CET 2011

Hi,

>> OTOH of course if the DocBook reference were the base, we could live
>> with having a single "system", which is a great advantage IMO.
>
> Why is this a great advantage? Because we wouldn't need any
> transformation in this case?

We need transformations anyway, be it from proprietary XML to DocBook or
from DocBook to t3editor format, and then - of course - from DocBook to
whatever rendering we need.

The advantage I see when using DocBook across the board is that the
format used is consistent among all manuals, which makes it easier for
people to contribute. It's all DocBook.

And considering that DocBook could be the reference, producing the
t3editor reference file would be "just" another form of rendering.

If we go for a proprietary XML format, we will have one additional
transformation step (from that XML to DocBook) which would be different
from the other manuals.

> I would go for a tailor made proprietary XML format, similar to what we
> proposed at t3dd10. If we have all we need in their own attributes, it
> can be easily parsed and transformed or as well imported in the database
> the online TSRef extension would use, each time there is an update.

Although I am rather in favor of a DocBook format, it may not be
possible, due to the particular structure of TypoScript. Nor do we know
for sure whether the XML format we came up with during T3DD10 really
fits the bill. All that because TypoScript structure is so twisted and
irregular.

I wonder if it's not necessary to actually advance with building the
TSref in some format (I would still try in DocBook) and gather more
experience, in order to be sure that we have a satisfying format...