[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: repository structure and release processes

"Christian Müller (Kitsunet)" christian.mueller at typo3.org
Fri Feb 25 10:44:07 CET 2011

On 22.02.2011 22:10, François Suter wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi all,

> 1) what do we want "all manuals" to mean in our context? Should it
> really be all, i.e. all v4-related official manuals, all FLOW3 + v5
> official manuals, all extensions/packages manuals? Or should we have a
> v4 and a v5 set, or even some finer-grained sets?
> The answer to this question will certainly have implications on the
> repository structure, as we will then want to have all manuals under the
> same hierarchy, maybe through the use of SVN:externals or its Git
> equivalent (hoping there's one).
> BTW this is the opportunity to finally gather the stuff that's included
> in the sysext manuals, which cannot found online in the current state of
> affairs.

I guess v4 and v5 are two different worlds, if someone wants to have
both it must be "just for having it" mostly, because either you are
working in a v4 project or in a v5 project and want to look up something.

Without bothering about any docbook details (my docbook knowledge is
just starting to build), I would imagine something like this structure:

- v4
-- Core Docs / Manuals
-- Core Extensions
-- TER extensions

- v5
-- Core Docs / Manuals
-- Base Distribution
-- Packages

AFAIK there are no direct equivalent to SVN:externals in Git, but I am
sure we can come up with some solution for that.

> OTOH it would be great if official manuals (or at lease core manuals)
> were rendered to HTML every night, as we could have a "nightly build"
> for manuals that follows trunk development. Indeed if you assume that
> developers would be encouraged to submit DocBook patches for documenting
> new or changing features in the code instead of adding text to the
> Pending Documentation page, we could have reference documentation that
> is nearly in sync with Core development.

+1, this would be great and very encouraging to write Doc patches too.

> Rendered manuals would be available at a central place and links to the
> various formats could be assembled automatically, for example from the
> TER when looking at an extension or from the Extension Manager inside
> the TYPO3 backend.

Don't know, but could it be worthwhile to render Extension manuals only
on first request of a given version (meaning document version + format)?

cheers,
Christian