[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: sample reference file

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Feb 23 22:43:19 CET 2011

Hi Stephan,

> Personally I would be far more happy with the structure we developed
> during DD2010 (Second draft of the new structure):
>
> http://wiki.typo3.org/DocTeam/Online_TSRef

Thanks for reminding me/us of this diagram. As I sais already said in my
answer to Christian, it makes a lot of sense and could be used to
generate the DocBook reference.

OTOH of course if the DocBook reference were the base, we could live
with having a single "system", which is a great advantage IMO.

> For me the main target groups / use cases are:

It's indeed interesting to look at use cases, but I'm unconvinced with
the ones you came up with.

> 1) TYPO3 newcomers (who do their first website)
> Usecases:
> 1.1) wants to have a step by step tutorial as website, how to do a basic
> page with typoscript
> 1.2) wants 1.1 as printable documentation for reading while lying on the
> sofa

Yes, that would be a DocBook manual, with cross-references to the TS
reference.

> 1.3) wants to have a desciption about cObjects, functions and their
> properties on the web

Yes. I think we all agree that the web-based reference would hide (or
show only discreetly) the high-level technical information (like types
of objects).

> 2) extension developers (who maybe did 1-10 extensions)
> Usecases:
> 2.1) wants to have a desciption about cObjects, functions, conditions
> and their properties on the web

What difference would there be here compared to 1.3?

> 3) core members (who know internal rendering stuff of TYPO3)
> Usecases:
> 3.1) wants to have a desciption about cObjects, functions, conditions
> and their properties on the web

Again, how's that different from 1.3 in your view?

> 3.2) wants to know some of the internal rendering process of TYPO3

That's a good point, because the TSref is currently badly structured and
we sometimes have a mix of examples, explanations and in-depth technical
information all mashed-up. It would be good to have such information
well-classified, so it can be hidden or shown on demand/need.