[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: sample reference file

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Feb 21 21:39:41 CET 2011

Hi Stephan,

> I have to disagree here- personally I don't think that this structure is
> important for TYPO3 extension developers/integrators. (Maybe we need to
> discuss some use cases / target group for the manual). I think that we
> have to really hide the complexity, so TYPO3 beginners are not afraid of
> typoscript any more.
> My experience is that you don't have to know the difference of functions
> and cObjects to use typoscript and build extensions.

I know, you already expressed that view during the T3DD10 workshop ;-)

I partly agree with you.

There's a real difference between data types, functions and the various
categories of objects. However I agree that this is rather insignificant
to newcomers to TYPO3 (except maybe for the data types vs. all the rest,
because that's quite like a programming language anyway). But what we
are building here is meant to be a comprehensive TypoScript reference.
To achieve this it makes sense IMO to differentiate those various types
of elements in various ways (e.g. by grouping them into DocBook parts
and by including this distinction in the id naming schema).

Now this distinction does not need to be visible to the reader/user. If
you think about a straightforward rendering as a book (or book-like
structure), readers may use the table of contents or more probably the
index. While the categorization will be visible in the TOC, it won't be
in the index. When we turn to online rendering, the categorization will
probably become completely secondary. What will be important is that the
online version be well searchable, fully cross-linked and has unchanging
URLs. Maybe there will be some entry screen where the categorization is
still visible, but it will be mostly irrelevant in that case.

What do you think?