[TYPO3-doc] Making extension multilingual with extending pages

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Thu Feb 10 12:43:08 CET 2011

Hi,

again i was faced to this issue, and again i didn't knew how to do this
right.

When you write extensions, you know about the main technique, adding
language fileds to your table. This is where kickstarter helps you.

Now adding fields to pages table, you will notice that it doesn't work
without extra work. I was not able to find the information about anywhere.

Because of the pages_language_overlay for pages you have to:

* add fields to table pages_language_overlay in sql
* add fields to table pages_language_overlay in TCA (ext_tables)
* add fields to $GLOBALS["TYPO3_CONF_VARS"]["FE"]["addRootLineFields"]
in FE (localconf)
* add fields to $GLOBALS["TYPO3_CONF_VARS"]["FE"]["pageOverlayFields"]
in FE (localconf)

last 2 are real coding to o the correct concatenating, there is no API
unfortunally.

So my question: is this documentated anywhere or is it missing?

I know, localization is one field in TYPO3 which does not work out of
the box, has complex models / configurations, and i always struggle
again and again when i have to implement it. And yes, i know the
localization guide, read about 20 times, but always forget everything again.

Or is it me having problems to understand it well?

vg Steffen