[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: Deciding on output structure

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Apr 28 22:01:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

>      /TYPO3v4/CoreManuals/doc_core_api/en/current/index.html
>      /TYPO3v4/CoreManuals/doc_core_api/en/4.4/index.html
>      /TYPO3v4/CoreManuals/doc_core_api/de/4.4/index.html
>      /TYPO3v4/CoreManuals/doc_core_api/de/current.pdf
>      /TYPO3v4/CoreManuals/doc_core_api/de/4.4.pdf

It's tricky with the version/language part. Should it be
language/version or version/language?

I've also been thinking about the names of the manuals and it's a good
opportunity to broach this topic. I wonder if we should really keep the
old keys. The above example is a good case in point: if "Core APIs" is
already categorized as being a core manual (because it is located in
"/TYPO3v4/CoreManuals/") I don't think that it needs to be called
"doc_core_api" anymore. It could be renamed to "CoreAPIs" instead. What
do you think?

I don't think the proposed naming of PDFs is a good idea. The name of
the file itself should probably incorporate all variables, i.e. the name
of the manual, the language and the version. Something like:

CoreAPIs_current_de.pdf

The point I want to make is that I strongly dislike the current
situation where every manual is called "manual.sxw". When download
several manuals, they all have the same name, plus some incremental
number added by the browser and you can't know which manual is which,
unless you rename them yourselves, which I find a real hassle.

With a new structure we have an excellent opportunity to change this.