[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: Build Chain / Rendering Pipeline

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Sat Apr 23 11:19:49 CEST 2011

Hey Fabien,

I'd suggest that we move this discussion to the mailinglist as well, ok?
:-) So it'd be cool if you could post it there again, and then I'll
repost my answer from now.

> > Let me know when there is anything more to test. I already have
> > roughly checked out the code and it looks good. I love phing task!
I always find Phing tasks very "verbose" and for me personally it is a
little difficult to write well-understandable phing tasks. However, it's
the only build system available for PHP and thus I'll use it :-)

> > I am quite concerned by the topic as I have taken over "ter_doc" and
> > "ter_xsl". I had a more small step by small step approach until now.
> > But, with Sebastian... radical changes arrive! :) And this is not a
> > problem at all as documentation generation must be shifted away from
> > the TER anyway.
Cool!

> > Proposition: what do you thing of setting up a domain to test the
> > build chain?
I'd say that's still too early. For now, my goal is to have the build
chain run on all unix-like systems; so I feel it is better when
everybody tests the build chain locally first. If that works out,
installing it on a server should be a breeze.

For actually running the build chain, I'd suggest to use Hudson: It can
monitor the repositories, trigger the build and move the generated PDFs
and HTML to somewhere.

Furthermore, I think it would be important to think about commenting to
documentation again. Right now I would favor an approach which loads the
comments dynamically via AJAX (like on api.jquery.com) from a separate
backend. Then, we don't need to adjust the DocBook XSL stylesheets so
heavily, but place the functionality for comments "on top", and would
just need to include a simple JavaScript file then.
Carveat: This would NOT work without JavaScript then; but for me this
would be an acceptable drawback, as it would make deployment a lot easier.

> > Also, at one point, I would like to incorporate some SXW -> Docbook
> > transformation in the system to have the change to migrate the legacy
> > documentation into Docbook. I have already started a XSL Stylesheet
> > that does the job. When there will be more code, I can help with that
> > as well.
Good Point! That's definitely a great idea -- I'd suggest to put this
into the "Helpers" part of the Build tools.
BTW: Isn't that already done in the ter_doc extension? (SXW -> DocBook
conversion) -- can't this be extracted and reused?

Greets,
Sebastian