[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: Build Chain / Rendering Pipeline

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Wed Apr 20 10:58:56 CEST 2011

Hey everybody,

as you might now, some people currently translate the Extbase/Fluid Book
by Jochen and me to English. As this should be part of the official
structure also, and I hope we can release a first pre-alpha version
soonish, I'd like to work on the DocBook toolchain in the beginning of
May for a few days.

What I have in mind so far:

    * the toolchain should be Phing-based, as we have really good
      experiences with it in FLOW3
    * All external tool dependencies (xsltproc, fop, ...) should be
      explicitely checked, so the tool chain can be easily run on a
      server or on a local machine. This should make it easy for
      everybody to render documentation.
    * It should basically support the conversion DocBook => HTML and
      DocBook => FOP => PDF
    * Furthermore, it should provide everything needed for cross-linking
      between documents (later), so the user of the toolchain does not
      need to care about it
    * Rendering of single documents, subsets of the documentation, or
      the whole documentation should be possible.
    * It should contain some tools to check for best-practices, i.e.
      concerning the naming of IDs.

Note that this does NOT include any Templating of the PDF or HTML yet;
this is a separate task (which of course will be part of the final build
chain lateron).

So, if you have any comments to this topic, or would like to join forces
with me, let me know :-)

As said, I'll spend some time in this area in the beginning of May; and
of course all development which I do will be public, and I'll post
updates to this list.

Greets,
Sebastian