[TYPO3-doc] Small improvements to official documentation template

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 13 00:12:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 12-9-2010 22:07, François Suter wrote:
> - following the discussion about the tables, I made something close to
> Hermann's 5th proposal, but went for italics instead of bold for the
> "main items" in the table. I think it's quite ok and far nicer on the
> eyes than bold.

+1 for the italics

> So I went for Vera Sans Monospace which gives very good results for
> preformatted text IMO and is a open source font.
> so I changed all the headings to use Vera Sans instead of Tahoma.

Now we're going to use two members of the Vera family, why not use Vera
Serif for plain text?

> - which brings me back to the tables: inside the cells themselves, the
> font used is Arial, but it's very compact, which is good for such
> tables. I tried to move it to Vera Sans too and the result is just not
> good. So I think we're stuck with three fonts, which is a bit much
> according to typography's golden rules, but I'm not sure we can achieve
> better without actually having to buy a large font family (like Lucida)
> which would give us all the variety we need but would be a license
> nightmare with so many contributors.

Because these tables will be used quite often, there is no need to use a
different font than the plain text font. Besides two sans serifs which
are so different in such a document is too much. (I'll ignore the
discussion about Arial being a bad copy of Helvetica and Grotesk type of
font families)

There's really no need to use commercial fonts for our manuals with the
large amount of quality free and open source fonts available.

If you like to have more variations of Vera Sans you might want to look
at what Arakandis did with the extra variations (extra weights plus
condensed / extended variants) in the SwitzeraADF package [1].
This family and their own collection of fonts [2] come with GPLv2 licenses.

[1] http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/openfonts.html
[2] http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/adffonts.html

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,