[TYPO3-doc] Small improvements to official documentation template

Susanne Moog info at susannemoog.de
Tue Sep 7 13:22:18 CEST 2010

On 07.09.2010 11:51, François Suter wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> For printed documents serif fonts for body text is easier to read.
>>
>>  From where do you get that wisdom? I have the exact opposite opinion I
>> must say. So I looked up what the wikipedia had to say [1] and it seems
>> that there are no studies that proved anything, one way or the other. So
>> I would definitely stick with serif fonts as it is used by nearly all
>> publishers.
>
> Erm, seems like I was not very concentrated. Sorry for the whole
> confusion. Indeed I think serif fonts are to be preferred, even though
> there seems to be no definitive proof to that. And I agree that the font
> used in the official documentation should be changed in that regard.

Fun fact: Last thing I read about this: It depends on what you are used
to. Computer programmers (or: people that spent a lot of time in front
of sans-serif text) read sans-serif faster, people that are more used to
reading books, magazines (printed stuff) read serif faster.

I guess it's a matter of taste ;) Question is: Are our manuals read in
printed form or on screen? I would not switch to a serif font for the
manuals, as I'd guess they are mostly read on screen. Nicest solution
would of course be a "print version" and an "online version" with
different fonts.

Susanne