[TYPO3-doc] Redefining the missions of the Documentation Team

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon May 24 22:20:57 CEST 2010

Hi all,

> So here's my proposal. I would be interested in having your opinion on
> this, especially whether this matches or not what you would expect the
> Documentation Team to do.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have prepared a v2 which should normally
contain all your remarks unless I missed something. As I explained, it
was always meant for the mission list to be as short as possible, but
followed with some explanations. v2 includes that part too.

If this gets validated it will go the DocTeam's page in the wiki. I
would also like to post it to the DocTeam's page on typo3.org, but that
requires to rearrange it a bit and that's another discussion.

**********
The Documentation Team aims to provide exhaustive, quality documentation
about TYPO3 for all users, with the help of the community. In order to
achieve this, it pursues the following goals:

	* write and maintain official documentation, whose quality is ensured
by peer review
	* provide a tool for the participative creation of documentation (wiki)
	* care for the "Documentation" section of typo3.org and any other
relevant pages
	* support the TYPO3 Core Team and any other team in their documentation
efforts
	* encourage the creation of on-line tools for easy reference to TYPO3's
main languages and APIs, ensure quality and maintenance.
	* encourage the creation of any other tool which favors documentation
and understanding of TYPO3
	* encourage the translation of the documentation

More details

There are many types of TYPO3 users and it would be impossible to
categorize them all. Although it is not possible to cater to each of
these types, the Documentation Team encourages all forms of
documentation no matter how specific. However the Documentation Team
itself will focus on documentation with as wide an audience as possible.

The wiki (wiki.typo3.org) is a community tool where anyone can write
some piece of documentation about any topic related (even remotely) to
TYPO3. It is also very convenient to collaborate thanks to change
tracking. When some piece of documentation has reached a certain
maturity in the wiki, it may become a candidate for "promotion" as an
official document. The Documentation Team cares for the maintenance of
the wiki.

There are quite a few places in the TYPO3 Core where some form of inline
documentation is available (context-sensitive help, inline manual). The
Documentation Team may either directly provide the Core Team with
improvements in these areas or respond to requests from the Core Team.
Such support is also available for extension authors who might request
it, although the Documentation Team may not guarantee a fast or complete
support depending on its workload.

Anyone is welcome to develop tools that help further the understanding
of TYPO3. As with documentation from the wiki, if the Documentation Team
comes across a particularly useful tool, it may propose to the author to
help taking care about this tool to ensure its maintenance and continued
existence.

Translations of the official documentation should follow the same rules
as the official documentation itself (i.e. versioned in the same Forge
project, peer-reviewed, etc.).