[TYPO3-doc] New Getting Started tutorial, let's go!

Martin Holtz typo3 at martinholtz.de
Thu May 13 15:54:08 CEST 2010

Hi,

> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Getting_Started_Tutorial_%28new_version%29
>
> I have copied and pasted the table of contents of the existing manual as
> a basis for our work.
>
> I think we should discuss ideas in this thread - as a newsgroup is more
> suited to discussion - and adjust the table of contents in the wiki when
> we have agreed on some changes.
hm, well, i just put my comments into the wiki, but i put it in this mail
too.

But imho the structure is pretty good. I would just leave it that in the
most cases.

My Comments (so far):

= Missing =
# i think it is important to add an chapter about caching. We should show
the basic cache features like TCEMAIN.clearCacheCmd and the different
aspects of caching (Browser / Server / perhaps Proxy?)
# do we have an howto make screenshots? Some rules, that they look not to
different?

= Getting Started =
What we should change is the BigFoot Page. We now have a introduction page
and i think it is important to use excactly that page.

= 2.6.3 Guest book  =
we should remove this one, i think guest books are outdated.

= 2.7 Web applications  =
# we should move all not system extensions to this chapter, f.e. tt_news
# we should show how to install phpmyadmin, as it is used to explain the
pid/uid thing

= 2.7.1 Inserting a newsletter subscription form  =
imho we should remove this one, it is an very special task, with many
different possible implementations

= 2.8.1 Tracking backend users =
i would remove this one, imho it is an very special feature which i do not
expect to be used widely

= 2.13 Simple news workflow  =
well, someone knows how that works? Its difficult to even find that
extensions. I think it would be better if we show how to use workspaces.

= 2.14 Where to go next?  =
i would expect informations about bugs.typo3.org, wiki.typo3.org,
association.typo3.org, forge.typo3.org, the "teams concept", the security
cookbook, the security announce list, newsgroups, a list of important
documents for furthor reading, the documentation team email address for
getting feedback, translations, usergroups...

ok, thats my first thoughts about it.

gruss,
martin
--