[TYPO3-doc] A few DocBook questions

Thomas Schraitle tom_schr at web.de
Tue Dec 28 22:13:14 CET 2010

Hi François,

Tuesday 28 December 2010
> > [... refentry ...]
>
> Could you nest refentries?

No, that's not possible. However you can group them into reference.

> So the IMAGE object would be a refentry and
> its properties would be a nested list of refentries. Is that too
> complicated maybe?

I fear, you can't nest them. However, if you want to keep this relation there
might be these solutions:

1. Use reference and refentry
   This groups the IMAGE object in the first refentry and all properties in
the following refentries. Everything is grouped in the reference.
I'm not sure if this is good enough as this create a "higher" hierarchy level
and is probably only useful if you have lots of properties to describe.

2. Use refentry and refsect1/refsection
   Here you dive in a little bit deeper the hierarchy. If you have lots of
properties to describe, use refsection/refsect{1,2,..}. The IMAGE object is
done describe in the refentry and its properties in the child sections.

3. Don't use reference/refentry at all
   If the above two is too limited, maybe an appendix could solve your
problem. There you have the complete freedom to use what you need/want.

From what I've seen so far, I'm in favor of (2).

> > object. This *could* be described as:
> >    <property role="parent:IMAGE">foo</property>
>
> That could also be interesting.
>
> I've really got to play around with that a bit more to try and figure
> out what's best, but I haven't had time at all lately.

I know, this needs lots of time and energy. However, once the dust is settled,
everything works automatically. :)

Cheers,
  Tom