[TYPO3-doc] A few DocBook questions

Thomas Schraitle tom_schr at web.de
Mon Dec 20 18:31:12 CET 2010

Hi,

Sunday 19 December 2010
> [...]
>
> > To sum it up: If you want your titles of your tables, examples, etc to
> > appear in the "table of contents" then use the elements with the
> > respective names. If you don't need an entry in the TOC, use the
> > informal* variant.
>
> So I guess there's no reason to force editors to use the formal
> variants, but it should probably be encouraged. In general it's probably
> better to have formal structures I would say.

Probably. Formal structures have one advantage over informal ones: you can
create <xref/>s to it. With informal structures this is far more difficult.

> [... HTML tables in DocBook... ]
> So it could work... Funnily enough XMLMind doesn't allow me to put block
> elements inside a td tag. Maybe it's a bug. I double checked the DocBook
> reference and paragraph elements are clearly allowed. Weird.

Yes, maybe I did something wrong. According to the TDG this should be
possible.

> > Your above data reminds me of reference material. So why not use
> > refentry[1] for that? [...]
>
> refentry could be much cleaner indeed. As Philipp already said it would
> probably be a lot of work to transform the existing references, but it
> might lead to other opportunities of usage for such data, if it is
> better structured. I will have to take a deeper look into this.

Well, that depends on your existing documentation. As I said, maybe a XSLT
stylesheet may help here. However, I'm not qualified enough to judge this. You
are the TYPO3 experts. :-)

> I wonder if we can really cover our use case with the existing tags (if
> we want to be really formal).

What do you miss?

Cheers,
  Tom