[TYPO3-doc] A few DocBook questions

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Dec 16 22:26:03 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a sample DocBook document that reflect our
current template file (currently based on OpenOffice). I thought I would
wrap it up before asking some questions, but I find myself stuck on some
points, so here goes with the questions first.

1) there are a number of structures which exist in both formal and
informal variants. Is there any recommendation about which to use. Is it
advisable to limit the choice to formal structures to... err, well, be
formal? Or should we just keep the freedom?

2) some of our manuals are language references, in particular TypoScript
which is a kind of parametrization language with which templates are
built in TYPO3 (to give a (very) short explanation to Tom, our visiting
DocBook expert). The traditional structure we used for such reference
was a table with four columns, describing the name of the property, its
data type, a description (which can sometimes be quite long, including
code samples, lists, etc.) and its default value (if any). An example
table can be found in the documentation template:

https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Documentation/official_template/trunk/OpenOffice/official_documentation_template.pdf

How should we do this with DocBook? I naively tried out with a table
(HTML), but the "td" element cannot contain block elements. This makes
it insufficient with regards to the needs for the description.