[TYPO3-doc] Wiki: <extension3> tag?

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Apr 16 10:52:24 CEST 2010

Hi Tobias,

> I looked at that page and saw 2 topics of interest:
>  > Thats a lot of work:
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Introduction/Matthew
>
> What should happen with this page?

I didn't know that one. That's one of the issues of the wiki, it's
sometimes hard to find stuff.

At the moment, nothing should be done with that page. We're going to
rebuild the quickstart tutorial based on the new Demo Package that will
be delivered along with TYPO3 4.4. We also plan to make the "TypoScript
in 45 minutes" tutorial into a true official document.

Once we're done with that it would be good to review many of the
tutorial pages in the wiki and clean up or merge them, so that newcomers
aren't put off by excessive choice.

>  > I started merging the official OO doc with the wiki page:
>  > http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Backend_Programming (but it's
> outdated as well, that will be the next step)
> How can I help there? Generally, what's the process to contribute to the
> official documentation/OO manuals?

General process: if you look up some of the recent threads in this list,
you will notice that we've been discussing a lot recently what
constitutes an official manual or not. I've been a bit silent these last
few days, because I was busy reviving the Bug Days and working on the
Scheduler, but I'm back on this topic now. Expect more news about this
very soon.

About backend programming: this is definitely a topic that I would like
to see better covered than now. As far as official documentation is
concerned, there are lots of bits here and there in the core
documentation: APIs, some code examples, general information about BE
modules, etc. It's confusing because it is spread over several chapters
and even over several manuals. What I would like to see in the future is:

1) a tutorial with step by step instructions on how to create a simple
BE module
2) a guide which lists all that is needed to know about BE programming,
even if it's references to other docs.

If you're ready to help with this, you're more than welcome, we are
definitely lacking manpower in the area of documentation. However please
don't dive head first into that. A manual is something that must be
carefully considered. The first step is to build a list of that should
be covered. Then we build up a table of contents that will give the
document its structure. Finally we can start the writing process. The
first steps should happen in this list. After that, writing can begin in
the wiki and then move to an OpenOffice.org document when more advanced.

Thanks for your interest