[TYPO3-doc] some basic statements about wiki.typo3-org

Martin Holtz typo3 at martinholtz.de
Wed Aug 27 19:52:44 CEST 2008

Hi Gert,

> August 2008 - experience with the typo3 wiki
>
> Hi to all wiki Workaholics and typo3 programmers
>
> I know about the great potential of a wiki (or knowledge database),
> and for that reason I did try to get familiar with the typo3 wiki
> to gain some help for my problems and to add my current expieriences
> to help others too.
>

> after some (better: many) wasted noctunal (nightly?) hours, I did give up
> !
>
> 1. the current usability of the typo3 wiki is terrible
> (I did setup a wiki 4 years ago, it seem that nothing has changed since
> that time)
can you go into detail for that?

> 2. the main menu has to be changed / updated / styled to
> internet standards
what means that in detail?

> 3. the overview of topics specially for the German part
> is crowded
hm...  one easy thing you would change, is... ?

> 4. the search-function is a mess
> within a search I got 28 answers, but in non (zero) answer,
> my topic was found, terrible
which was your topic? i would not say the search-function is perfect, but -
for me - it was acceptable

> 5. for stressed programmers, the pages width is a lot to wide, must be
> much smaller (shorter)
well, it depends on your browser window...?

> 6. much old and !!! wrong articles are not cleared
> or updated !!!!! wasting too much of my life-time, this is not better than
> google,
i hope you updated that wrong and old articles...?

> 7. each article must (absolutely must) have its creation and !!
> last update date on top to separate old worthless junk from current
> information.
yep, that would be nice, you could open an issue at forge
( http://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-docteam/issues )

> 8. the wiki is really slow ?? 15 sec for response ?? (with
> DSL 16.000) wasting time too ....
well, i have DSL 1000 and i do not wait so long, especially now f.e. german
main_page has an response less than 2 seconds.

> 9. I didnt easyly find the topic or
> link, to create a new page ???? what's that ??
on the left side, there is a section "help 'n' beginners", we hoped that
":: QUICKSTART ::"
":: MORE HELP ::"
":: SANDBOX ::"
should guide an Beginner.

> 10. conclusion:
> Currently the wiki is a really small help only, with that level of quality
> nobody is motivated to add the current help/tips and tricks from his
> individual personal blogs into the generic typo3 wiki, it is not
> comfotably.
that is not correct. There are some (not many, you are right) people who put
content into.
I personally think the reason why most people use own blog/page is because
of SEO.

I do not think, the wiki is perfect, and i think it is not as easy to share
and find something in the wiki, as it should be. But who is able to change
that? What has to be done to change that?

> We are using one of the finest CMS on the world
> and our absolutely needed wiki is a poor playground ???
>
> Who and where are the makers of the wiki and how can we talk together,
> to expand the team and setup or establish a reference wiki for our
> community ?
well, the docteam cares for the wiki:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-docteam/

and do not forget to motivate - do point out what is good etc ;)

regards,
martin
btw, in the last days phlogi was very activ in deleting outdated wiki pages.