[TYPO3-doc] purpose of wiki/ your tips

Jakub Tesinsky j at kub.cz
Wed Mar 21 04:00:13 CET 2007

Daniel Brüßler napsal(a):
> Hello Jakub,
>
> and please take some time to see
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Documentation_joblist#Current_activities
>
> What tasks are not needed in your eyes, and what are missing?

Firstly I should say that I do not understand many tasks. Also thought I
am trying to understand the history and the state of Typo3 Documentation
  by reading historic news and various wiki pages I feel that I
understand less and less ;-)

For me the single problem with wiki I see now is: IT IS TOO COMPLICATED.

It can bee seen that there are several layers of various attempts to
organize it. Most of them seem to be quite clever, but thre result is
again the same: it is too complicated.

I have been thinking about how to change it and did not find any idea
yet. I have been even considering as the only way to restart from
scratch - install new wiki, discuss the plan, and move contents here.
But it might be too brutal way.

For me it seems to me that you work hard, but I scare that you are too
concerned with technicalities that you have no time to do the most
important think: lead the way.

Right now I think that the only hope to wiki might be to start with some
very small part - maybe one page and surroundings and try to do this
part as good as possible. Make it uncluttered and understandable for
newbies. I think it should not be anything too "big" like homepage which
would lead to neverending discussions. Let it be something simple. I see
that Mathew already found place of interest and as it is the first bold
link on homepage, we might start with this: "Getting started".

Main problem with typo3 Documetation is not that there is not enough
documetation. The main problem is that there is no single place where
everything is and that there is no order in documents. The existing
documents overlap in parts, some topics are not covered.

The conclusion: it is useless to write new documentation, we should
organize the existing one.

This is very big task, but I suggest that we start on one place (for
example "Getting started" page) and idetify what topics should be
gathered here. Than we should gather all available documentation on
identified topics and transfer them (manually) to wikispace. If they
overlap, than merge their corresponding parts.

On the way we can discuss more general topics.