[TYPO3-doc] purpose of wiki [update]

Jakub Tesinsky j at kub.cz
Fri Mar 16 14:48:00 CET 2007

The problem with the next step for me is that I know exactly how I think
that wiki should look like if it was meant as "documentation portal" for
everyone (as we named is few emails sooner). BUT I think that this idea
is too big step for you and you certainly might not be happy to take it
(and it would be understandable). Also I do not know whether it is your
intention to make wiki more as "documentation portal" for everyone. From
earlier posts I get the feeling that you prefer it more the way it is
right now, but from latter ones I see that you might like to go this
way. So probably the best thing I can do is to try to explain my vision
and you should discuss with your colleagues what the intention with the
wiki is and who is the aim group.

Before I try to explain the vision I should say that may be it is DO or
NOT TO DO question. I like very much your idea of "hiding" the
background. More on that later.

So about my vision (once again, I do not say that you SHOULD go this
way, I only say that I believe that IF you go this way, than wiki would
be very good source of portal documentation which would attract more
contributors especially from flanks of "nogurus" than today):

The main and the only really crucial point in the vision is that wiki
should be aimed to the user of typo3 looking for documentation on typo3.

All other points are just separate ideas how to achieve it, they are
mostly independent and are not vision themselves, but mediators of these
vision.

==primarily for USERS (seekeng documetation)==

This does not mean that wiki can not serve for the people who develop
the documentation. Note that project like wikipedia.com all have their
"backstage" area which is nevethelss clearly separated from the contents
by namespace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Namespace,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Project_namespace). Also the
entry points to this "backstage" are NOT prominent on the Homepage
neither on subsequent pages so the firscomers FIRST browse the
documentation itself and only later whenever they have interest they may
obtain the "backstage" information.

If fact I prefer to call it META information rather than backstage
because it is more precise. Main namespace of wiki should contain ONLY
documentation about Typo3 and there should be a separate namespace for
information about Wiki and Documentation developement. There should be
some discussion about misson of separate namespaces, but I am not going
to deatails right now.

There is another very good reason to make newcomers and middle
experienced users feel that they understand what is going on.

==flat structure==

I think that the BASIC structure of wiki should be very simple and easy
to understand. If there are any other structures (trees of documents,
tags, directories) they should be PARALLEL to the basic structure
ALTERNATIVE. This means that if the user ignores them it means no
obstacle nor confusion to him.

Traditional BASIC structure of wikis is FLAT STRUCTURE, with no tree
structure or st. like that. To make it more specific there are

bad examples in current wiki

* EXT/kickstarter/manual - this is horrible name for such a important
think like Kickstarter. There should be article simply named Kickstarter.
* All "<<Back to " links should be either reimplemented as Categories of
at least moved to the bottom of page. By putting the backling prominent
position you prioritize one structure in wiki over alternatiove ones
which is undesirable. Also there is already enough mechanizms which
allow user to "go back" - for example Back button in the browser or
"What links here" from the Toolbox on all wiki pages.
* Wiki Homepage: this is a real and I am sure that contraversory topic.
I prefer to not to go into details now.
* obstructive rendering of {{Tag|..}} template. See
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Template_talk:Tag

good examples in current wiki

* Naming: TemplaVoila is important thing in typo3 and there is a
articele named simply TemplaVoila. This is good.
* Frontend editing: this is common concept and there is a article about
it (should be expanded).

To close I emphasize again that I am not against structure. In fact the
  traditional approach in wikis is that there are MANY structures in
PARALLEL. Many of them can be implemented using Categories mechanism.

Footnote: Nice example of the fact that the current wiki structure is
too complicated is that there are even users who completely ignore it
and create their own articles outside this formal structure. For example
  user Christinapaige2000 who started to write his/her documetation wiki
pages. And thought they are still scattered they have already helped me
a lot in some questions.

==META namespace==

I like your idea of hiding the "documentation developers area" from
newcomers and I would like to attract your attention to the concept of
META namespace which is used in wikipedia. All the information and
documentation about typo3 should be in the main namespace and all the
information about "writing the documentation" should be hidden and
separated in Typo3wiki namespace.

Please do not confuse the "typo3 developers area" and "documentation
developers area". The firs surely belongs to main namespace, thought it
should be also to some extent shielded from newbies, but this can be
easily done.

==one topic one article==

I think that is a fundamental difference between OO documents and
manuals and wiki articles. An article should cover exhaustively one
specific topic while manual is more like structured collecion of
articles. Also OO documents seem to be aimed to printed version and do
not use the links so extensively as is usual in articles or in web pages
in general. Wiki should be like the encyclopedia for typo3 user where
for each simple topic there is a page.

There should be article for any fundamental concept of typo3 (as a start
list one could easily use Glossary list) so than is can be linked from
other articles, which can help keep other articles both clean and
accesible to newbies. Consider the sentence:

To enable the Admin Panel edit user TSconfig and add
admPanel.enable.edit=1 to it.

It sounds pretty straighforward for you, but the beginner can be
confused. If you write it like that:

To enable the Admin Panel [[edit user TSconfig]] and add
admPanel.enable.edit=1 to it.

And if there is a [[edit user TSconfig]] article which explains step by
step how to edit user TSconfig, may be taking advantage of other
articles like [[user TSconfig]], [[Edit the user record]], [[TSconfig]]
etc...

To ease such linking we need flat and easy naming of articles, which
anain bring us to need of flat structure.

==simple contribution procedure==

The basic contribution procedure to the portal should be as simple as
hitting the "Edit" link if the page exist or:
* Create page.
* Edit it.

Apparently there are some workflow rules
(http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Documentation_workflow) which are good
if you want to make quality long OO documents but are obstructive in
building the wiki. Quality grows on root s of quantity as has been
proven in wikipdia product, who also has its own quality efforts, but ON
TOP of free wiki editing. There might be such workflow procedures for
longer documents, but it has nothing to do with wiki ARTICLES. Consider
the first few points in workflow:

* First you should see if there is a need/interest for the document.
Direct your question to the documentation news group.

NO. This is unnecesarry. If I am interested in the subject so much that
I am willing to start an article, than it is enough.

     * Then you should decide under which section you should put a link
to the document. Then ask the DocTeam to put up the link and make the
new page. It is not forbidden to make the link and page yourself, but it
is considered good practice to ask first.

You can start the article, make it good and only then look for places
where to put link to it. There can be even more places and if the
article is interesting enough this might be done for you by other people.

     * The new document should be put under the Documents in progress
section.

Some kind of this is probably desirable - minor flaw is that in the
workflow document there is not even a link to "Documents in progress
section". I think that simple {{stub}} template or alike might do the work.

Again I emphasize: I speak about ARTICLES, not about OO documents for
sum kind of workflow might be desirable. Also there is a crucial thing I
have learned in wiki projects: Procedures are popular to suggest but
unpopular to follow, due to the effort required to locate, read, learn
and abide by them.

==conclusion==

There is probably more than that, but I think it is enough (if not too
much) for now. I hope that I made my points as understandable as
possible. If something is unclear, plese ask.

Jakub