[TYPO3-doc] purpose of wiki [update]

Jakub Tesinsky j at kub.cz
Wed Mar 14 15:57:16 CET 2007

Thanks Daniel for explanations,

I understand the purpose of wiki better now. I suggest that it is
clarified on the homepage of the wiki itself, that:

**It is NOT the documentation portal, it is only working space for
documentation team and the real documentation is placed elsewhere [link].**

Comment: it might be obvious for YOU, but clearly not to somebody new to
typo3 who have just found the wiki - mediawiki engine is commonly used
on web for the REAL documentation - your usage is not as common. Also
the overall structure of wiki homepage strongly suggest that the wiki IS
intended as documentation itself, it stars with prominent links like:
Getting started or the link Editors is explained like: ... Here you FIND
documents on how to ... This should be changed to something like: "Here
we work on documents on how to ..."

Also if you want to attract help from "just passing" people, you should
clearly state how they can help you, and what could be their place in
your work flow. If it was the usual situation (documentation wiki
portal) one would expect to browse for the document s/he is interested
in, read it and may be make corrections of expand it. But (if I
understand it) you probably want from "newcommers" only to find the wiki
document with link to real document and perhaps leave the message on
this wiki page with question (using the question tag). Or maybe then can
help you with proofreading ... I do not know.