[TYPO3-doc] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Mon Sep 18 20:19:47 CEST 2006

Hi!
> I suggest for the main topics, ie excluding teams etc.
>
> i) Installation
> ii) TypoScript
> iii) Extensions

Every person have thier own idea about what is the best
structure! The web/wiki is so far the best way to give everyone
their own structure - simple because you can have many links to
the same page.

That is why the Main page have one structure and the Matrix
another (http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Document_Matrix).

What is missing in the current wiki is a structure based on
topic/subject. It is very hard to make a topic/subject based
structure if you want to include ALL documents/wiki pages in it
- simply because you have so many different documents/wiki
pages. It tends to be a lot of sections (if you want to include
all currenty and future documents/pages) which leads to quite a
complex structure that is hard to overview - especially for newbies.
(The Main page structure is mostly aimed at Typo3 newbies.)

Why not make a subpage called "Subjects" (or something) and have
headers for each subject - like on the Matrix page. The benefit
is that you don´t have to cover the whole wiki on the page!

---

Also I have found out one "golden rule" when working with
documentation structure: Choose only one criteria to make the
structure around!
In practice that means you should never have "TypoScript" and
"Referens" on the same level in the structure. Why? Because how
should people know where to look for the T3Ref? In "TypoScript"
or in "Reference"? And there are a lot of "traps" like this when
structuring documentation!  ;-)

> A significant drawback to the current wiki start page is where to look. If I
> need more detailed examples of objects from TSref it is not clear where to
> start looking.

That´s your opinion. Ask yourself this question instead:
"Which structure fits best for *most* of the pages on the wiki?"
(And also remember to think a little about what pages might be
made in the future.)

When you have answered this question, you also have the new
structure made up!

> Using my approach idea above it is clearer. A second
> significant drawback of the current wiki start page is that documents are
> split into many sections Getting Started, Editors, Help, Developers and
> Extensions etc...

YOU think it is clearer, but do everybody else? To be honest I
am a little surprised that so few people have complained about
the current structure (since the initial debate). I like to
think it is because it is quite easy to understand...?  :-)

I don´t care very much if you change the main structure - as
long as you can fit in all (or at least most) wiki pages into
it. But my experience with the Typo3 wiki structure so far is
that people like to say they can do better, but never show any
complete solutions. *And I don´t like anyone to start changing
the structure and give up half ways!*

/Peter Kindström