[TYPO3-doc] TYPO3 Book... Argh!

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:28:06 CEST 2006

I'm trying to struggle my way through the TYPO3 book, which is proving to be
exceedingly harder the furrther I get...

The support files that are linked to in the beginning of the book are told
contain instructions for their use. They do not.

The entire chapter about editing seems half-assed and is hard to follow.

The next chapters about admining and developing are excruciatingly
difficult,
out-of-context, page after page of typoscript references without meaning and
referencing things that have not been introduced or do not exist.

I'm now at the "Preparing the HTML template" part. I still lack directions
on
how and where to integrate the help files, supposing that's what I'm
missing.
I get directions such as "In the Templates/Main Templates system directory,
create a new template record..." - but there's no "Templates/Main Templates"
directory ANYWHERE, including the downloaded files from packtpub.

I'm using the F word more and more, I feel like ripping this terrible book
apart and smash things. Surely there must be somewhere to get some help? I
tried writing packt with my question as they invite you to in the beginning
of the book, but they obviously don't give a rat's behind, as they ignore
me.

Please help me. What the sodding fudge am I supposed to do with the support
files? I can feel my hair turning gray and my veins clodging up...

Thanks,
Daniel