[TYPO3-doc] Reference of Typo Script

Peter legine at gmx.de
Mon Mar 13 12:20:35 CET 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:
>>Can you wiki a XML File? - I think not.
>

> Certainly. You need an XSLT stylesheet, produce one or multi pages and
> send results with a script (php, perl, shell) to the wiki.
Hmm, and what does the script do?

> But I don't like the idea to put texts of individual authors to the
> wiki. If they want to have their texts edited by community they should
> do it themselfs.
I dont want to simply republish the content of a tutorial or the reference in
another way.
What I would do is to start with snipplets of the work since I do not have the
experience of knowing what I know. The C&P parts are only snipplets that will be
changed to the cause.
The Idea is that a author neutral documentation makes the base of all. (The
reference) and the authors that want to contribute sniplets or tutorials or
whatever build on that base.

I am thinking like a house. You can not build documentation starting at the top.
You need to have a good fundamential to start with. And imho that is missing.
And in your first post you agreed that you had yourself problems. And that
should be an indication that something is missing.

I agree if I through bits and bytes together that maybe my Idea how the
reference should look like is wrong. I never said I am god or something ;)
But at least a Idea where i can read every option I have at one point in my TS
setup would be nice.
And for that sometimes the best way to improve is to start from the beginning
and avoid mistakes already done.

> I prefer user comments below the online texts for documents of
> individual authors. That feature is currently missing.
Comments are nice. That feature is indead a great thing. But comments have a
drawback. As does author orientated documentation. If you put an error in the
error stays as lon as you do not fix it.
Mostly you get then a comment on a comment and then the poor reader has to fix
errors by himself in his work.
www.php.net has some gorgious examples on this. ;)

The next problem is that comments are quite difficult to search. So you start
reading maybe on great topics a lot of comments before finding something about
your special problem.

Comments are a good addition but are not a replacement for a good base
documentation which you need to understand your snipplets.