[Typo3-doc] How to get started? Analyses of the steep learning curve

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at vcd-berlin.de
Sun Nov 13 11:30:27 CET 2005

JoH wrote:
> The minimum you need to get started is:
>
> page = PAGE
> page.typeNum = 0
> page.10 < styles.content.get

That reminds me that it is possible to to a whole project only with
typoscript and completly without any html templates. That is in fact
what I would do if I had to do a project as a one man show.

> Don't try to tell me that any approach using TV can be easier than this.
> And there is something you seem to miss:
> Who will setup a working TV for the beginner?
> Surely not the beginner himself.
> I tried it, and it took me much more time to setup a working configuration
> than it would have taken to setup the whole website using these 3 lines.
> In fact I would have been able to create all content elements _and_ the 3
> lines in the same time.

If somebody want's to write a getting started with TV it needs to be
bases on a completely preconfigured setup. Like the current "Getting
started" is allready.

I don't see a "Geting started" tutorial a a tutorial that teaches the
really basics. It is a tutorial to bring people quickly to the point to
have a system running, that demonstrates them the most interesting
features. Running an.exe file on windows, drop in Knoppix CD or an USB
stick would do this job.

The target is to *motivate* and *interest* people to learn the very
basics like typoscript, markers, main configurations in the second step.

The second step should in fact start with typoscript. It is true that
nobody can professionally work with TYPO3 without the knowledge about
typoscript.

* plain typoscript
* markers
* modern template building
* futuristic template building

The tutorials already exists. They could be combined into one with or
without automaketemplate or TV. But with more information about the
concepts behind then the current.

Remember my original statement was, that the tutorials need *more*
information about the basical concepts behind. So that you can use them
without reading all the big theoretical documentations before getting
started.

Joey you didn't take this important point into account from the very
beginning. That was one of the main intentions. Surley not to start a
ridiculous flameware about TV or not. That is simply a matter of
personal taste.

Regards

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...