[Typo3-doc] How to get started? Analyses of the steep learning curve

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at vcd-berlin.de
Fri Nov 11 20:03:47 CET 2005

> Do you really think that TemplaVoila should be part of a "Getting started"
> tutorial?
> As far as I understand "Getting started" should be about the basics of TYPO3
> trying to help users that never touched TYPO3 before to get behind the
> "magic".

Personally I prefer the good old way with markers. But a getting started
  tutorial is something else. We have to pic up the people where they
stand. We have to ask, what they expect at the moment they "get started"?

I imagine a lot of people come to TYPO3 because of special features that
other CMS don't offer. One of the famous features will be the TV.

> Templa Voila simply doesn't make any sense without these basics (Backend
> usage, Basic TS and HTML-Templating ...) and it is still neither a sysext
> nor a stable extension, although it works for most of the TV users.
> And BTW: It is just one of 3 major templating concepts but definitely not
> "the one and only".

I think a "Getting Started" is something like a "Hello World". Something
to bring people quickly to some success. It is not a tutorial to teach
from the very basics. That would serve another name.

> IMHO the only basic tutorial (that of course needs a facelift) is the
> "GoLive Tutorial" since it is using basic TypoScript and Markers only. No
> weird autoparser extension or XML structures necessary.

I admid that I never read it. I allways thought it would be a special
tutorial for an Adobe tool. I use Emacs.

> The reason why many people tend to believe "TYPO3 = Templa Voila" is the
> result of two big mistakes that have been made, while presenting the
> autoparser and TV:
> The autoparser Tutorial has been called "Modern Template Building" and (even
> worse) the TV Tutorial is known as "Futuristic Template Building".
> The words "modern" and "futuristic" gave the impression that everything else
> is "old school" or "depreciated" now, which is simply wrong.

Different people will give different answers to this. Depends on his
personal knowlege. You may discuss it with others, please not with me.
Everybody is right. You are right.

Best to offer different flavours of "Getting started". ;-)

Regards

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...