[Typo3-doc] Waht we can do now. was: G'day!

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 07:59:25 CET 2005

> Actually TYPO3 is more like a journey. Perhaps we could do a map??
I strongly believe some sort of a continuum is necessary.

A way of communicating and illustrating that using TYPO3 is a process and a
journey.

You need step 1 before step 2 etc.

I think with enough juggling and feedback we could define the order of
documentation/tutorials and present them in a logical and continuum
approach.

As far as I see it, mailing lists, tutorials, documents and videos are not
independent and whatever structure that is offered must allow these side
steps into more detailed information however it is presented.

The key point is that newbies require a clear direction to take and they do
not have it right now.

The leading documentation is getting older by the version and has far too
many gaps because the journey is fragmented across too many sources.

This enormous bucket of great TYPO3 information needs to be better
structured and coordinated.

Why does 'getting started', a document that contains fantastic information
for end users, need to start with installing? Because it was written for
the new TYPO3 developer perspective and not from an end user who will never
end up installing it himself. So the installation materials should be moved
to their own document which allows far greater detail on the process. Why
for example does TYPO3 default to installation in a sub folder of the root?
For FTP newbies without SSH it is a nightmare to change that symlink and
move the dummy content back up a directory. So add a second src symlink
into each package that points to the current directory and let them choose
which they need etc. etc. etc.

My view.

Matthew