[Typo3-doc] Waht we can do now. was: G'day!

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Thu Nov 10 18:33:50 CET 2005

Matthew Manderson wrote:

> You have highlighted exactly why I think we need a suitable
> 'Pre-installation Heros Guide'.
>
> You cannot install TYPO3 if you have safe mode in place and don't sort out
> your paths and permissions.

snip

> I have discovered TYPO3 takes minutes to set up once the goodies are in
> place. Using a shared host is not funny anymore.
>
> I have a comprehensive list of questions I now ask potential web hosts and
> each time I get a problem the list gets longer. If they don't match they
> they don't get a look in.

Maybe the biggest question we are facing is some kind of warning like:

"Even if TYPO3 doesn't cost anything, it's still an Enterprise Solution
CMS and is NOT well suited for simple sites, people with no time or not
willing to dive in and complain about the way it is programmed and
people using cheap shared hosting"

I know it look harsh and I'm the last person that want elitism (I was
behind the New to TYPO3 http://typo3.org/about/new-to-typo3/).

I'm just trying to get expectation at the right level.

Maybe it's time to clearly make this point evident?

BTW, Matthew, your checklist screams
"http://typo3.org/download/system-requirements/" !

Patrick