[Typo3-doc] Waht we can do now. was: G'day!

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 14:53:48 CET 2005

> 1. Set up a web server (probably Apache or IIS), running PHP. Unix - read
> INSTALL.txt which is contained in the .tar.gz .
> 2. Install any additional software that TYPO3 will use: perhaps
> ImageMagick, zlib or mod_rewrite.
> 3. Download and unpack the TYPO3 source and a starter website package.
> 4. Use the install tool to get TYPO3 running.
>
> For specifics of what is required to run TYPO3, check <a
> href="http://typo3.org/download/system-requirements/">requirements for
> running TYPO3</a>

You have highlighted exactly why I think we need a suitable
'Pre-installation Heros Guide'.

You cannot install TYPO3 if you have safe mode in place and don't sort out
your paths and permissions.

You need GraphicsMagick, drop this ImageMagick larky and give clear
instructions on the various methods, static install locally and with
relative ../../../gm paths rather than absolute and local /usr/bin/gm

Sub guides for specific server software problems like ensim and WHM and
Plesk.

These are the thing most newbies fall foul of.

I have discovered TYPO3 takes minutes to set up once the goodies are in
place. Using a shared host is not funny anymore.

I have a comprehensive list of questions I now ask potential web hosts and
each time I get a problem the list gets longer. If they don't match they
they don't get a look in.

So the pre installation guide will help answer all this and get newbies on
the right foot to start with.

Just read the linux install mailing list to see how many of the same type of
questions come up.

my 2c.
Matthew