[Typo3-doc] Wiki people: who's on board now?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Mon Nov 7 22:55:33 CET 2005

Hi Robert,

Robert Lemke wrote:

>>BTW, it is nice to hear that someone at last understand the key
>>problems of T3doc and start to adress them in the right way!
>>
>>And if you continue discussing documentation issues in this list
>>(not in the US list) , you also may get more help from me and
>>others. Hint, hint!  :-)
>>

>That's great to hear ;-) I for my part will mostly listen when you discuss
>how documentation should be structure, written etc. and help you with the
>technical parts when neccessary.

Thanks, Robert. In regards to the technical parts, and the rest, I
contacted Ton Roosendaal of the Blender Foundation yesterday and got a
very quick reply! They are using T3 for most of their site, except for
some legacy sections, and he said: "BTW; I've only heard good stories
about the typo3 documentation :)   Probably your choice for open office
was a good one!"

Evidently the Blender Foundation had some problems with the DocBook
format, which he attributed to the collaborative nature of their doc
team. However, he pointed out that it has been used successfully by
others, so how we use it may or may not determine whether we encounter
the same problems. To wit:

"We had big difficulties with DocBook. Not only is the format design
very clumsy and not user friendly (there seems to be still no good
WYSIWYG editor for it), exporting it only has caused troubles...
especially when the books are large (bug in pdf exporting forced us to
do it in parts) and exporting for DTP design of real books failed too
(no support for Adobe Indesign for example)."

They have found a wiki to be their best tool for collaborative writing,
but then we had already agreed here that having a wiki-like interface
for editing was something we wanted in our system. Fortunately, I think
we may have some programmers hanging around who can give us a system
with a wiki-like editing interface that saves to a standard document
format that can be used and exported in other ways!  Hint, hint! :-)
What are the technical limitations/benefits of the DocBook format that
we may encounter? And how soluble are these limitations in regards to
the software system we're considering?

>If you create a list of jobs, we could also create a news item for typo3.org
>for getting the right people. What do you think?
>
>Cheers,
>robert

Hey, any avenues we can exploit (oops, I mean *explore*!! ;) ) to get
volunteers is a good thing! We have a couple of good writers on the US
team. I think we still need to have reviewers who can go over all the
existing information and organize what is there in terms of
appropriateness for placement in the document structure. And, of course,
technical people who can work on the system itself. I think things are
moving very quickly in the group (good), and some of us are impatient
(me), and momentum is easy to lose (bad), but there is a lot to do
(good) and we have time on our side (good).

Alex