[Typo3-doc] Wiki people: who's on board now?

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Sat Nov 5 15:55:50 CET 2005

Hey Peter,

Peter Kindström wrote:

>> I think DocBook would be a much better format.
>
> Wait a minute!
> First I don?t think everybody was that positive. Maybe
> *technically* it is the perfect format, but you still have to
> think of the great majority of users: the developers!
>
> Is it easy enought for them to write documents in the DocBook
> format? A few month ago I tried to find an *easy to use* editor
> for DocBook but I failed...
>
> I don?t say this is wrong, I just agree with Robert that we have
> to have a (long?) transition phase. Maybe the "new docTeam"
> should start using the format to test it, find good editors and
> so on?
>
> But I think the most important thing is: If we want good
> documentation from our developers, the process of writing
> documentation must be at least as easy as using OpenOffice!

I agree with you - of course. Because that was actually the reason why I
decided against DocBook beginning of this year.

However, I realized in the meantime that if we create a more structured
manual template for OpenOffice which has styles labelled like "Chapter
Heading" or "Screenshot" or "TypoScript Code Example", that would be really
easy to use for the editors (although it requires some discipline) and we
still can convert the documents without any problems into DocBook.

That method - using OpenOffice - should only be the solution for the (long)
transition phase. But it gives us enough time working on a cool editing
solution for DocBook.

What do you think?

robert
--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development