[Typo3-doc] Start testing DocBook?

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Sat Mar 26 21:10:41 CET 2005

> As you wrote, we have no hurry. And in the summer I have my two
> small gardens to take care of... But anyhow I would at least
> like to start this up! What do you say?

My efforts have been going into the marketing group for a while now and
it looks like I'm going to be pretty busy for some time. I just picked
it up the last few days to clear things up in the docTeam before it dies
completely. That means I won't have much resources available for the
docTeam.

My suggestion for approach would be to focus on Wiki, OOo and timtaw (as
soon as it gets release) to provide first level tools for everybody to
document. I have no idea where the project 'timtaw' stands and who is in
charge and when it is released.

In the meantime before we start testing DocBook I'd look for anyone
within or even outside the TYPO3 community that has experience with
DocBook to get more information about its use and discuss pros and cons
before spending more time with it.

Once we have a clearer picture we should prototype first where we take
any possible action and style into account, test team work with CVS,
learn about conditinals, references and language support.

After prototyping we should be able to present a solution for the
devTeam including possible approach for future creation and maintenance
of documentation to get some feedback.

During that process I'd like to see typographers look into the design
aspect of the documentation to see if the XSL-FO can handle specific
design needs or if an extra step through LaTeX will be necessary.

If by then we haven't given up on the DocBook idea I think we are ready
to actually start testing with actual transfers.

I certainly will help any way I can but my focus is the marketing group
which eventually will bring me back to the docTeam at some point just
from a different perspective.

Jean-Marie